Monday, April 5, 2010

Oh Sweet Lord!

Right now, I am comfortable with the fact that soon i am going to be a dad. In due time, there will be a little one to call me "Pa", or "Pappa" or what ever else he / she can muster.

It seems unbelievable that 'THAT' time is already here.

Till yesterday i was making plans for the long overdue trip to Leh, our tickets were booked, and other details taken care of.

Today, we have cancelled the trip.

I have always been petrified of fatherhood. The responsibilities, new role and multiple hats to wear have always had a not so encouraging impact on me. That is, until the stork came calling.I did not know how to handle it all, so did the best thing i could. I stayed calm.

We had gone to her parent's house to surprise them on their 30th wedding anniversary. Little did we know that we would come back with a much bigger surprise. A surprise that would rock our world. Literally.

Wifey was not ready for this. She had gone ballistic and worried sick about "how will we manage the finances?" and "are we ready for this?" and "What the F#$%!!", which was what really got us here in the first place.
I wasn't ready either, and i figure I never would have been, but what surprised me the most was my own reaction to the whole development. As if i had been waiting for this moment my whole married life. Knowing somewhere, that it would happen one day. It had to happen one day.

Our parents, needless to say are super ecstatic, a joy we did not quite understand in the beginning. Today, it has started to make sense.

We have had two ultrasound scans so far, one to confirm the pregnancy, and the other to check for Down's syndrome in the fetus. Both moments have been life changing for me. My wife, needless to say, is undergoing tremendous hormonal, emotional and physical changes. But as a man, the father I am undergoing a spiritual changes. Yeah, weird , I know. When i heard the baby heart beat for the first time, everything around me stopped. Just like they show in the movies. My heart skips a beat everytime i think of that moment.

The second time around, i thanked god with all my heart that the fetus was developing normally. It is times like these when i remember what my father used to tell me when we were school going lads- "Son, don't forget to thank God for the normal life he has given you". It all makes sense now.

We are past the first trimester, and by God's grace things are going fine, with mother and fetus :) . Fine except for the nausea filled mornings, sleep filled days , mood swings, countless advices and weird food cravings. The other day she wanted to have peaches, which won't be in season for another 4 months or so. Today she has forgotten the peaches.

But all is well.

Our journey has truly begun now. And as the wisemen say, the fun starts now.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment